The project radically transforms Turin, creating a new railway connection between the city's urban railway system and the Turin-Ceres line.
- New Railway Tunnel: a 2481.6 metre double-track tunnel excavated using the 'Milan method' and concrete secant pile bulkheads. This tunnel connects the "Rebaudengo-Fossata" station to the Corso Grosseto - Via Confalonieri junction on the Turin-Ceres line.
- New 'Grosseto' Station: an underground railway station built with a passenger building, technical rooms and two 180-metre platforms.
- New Road Underpass: double carriageway under Largo Grosseto, 440 metres long, also excavated according to the "Milan method".
- Extension of the 'Rebaudengo-Fossata' station: three new platforms in an existing artificial tunnel to connect the new railway tunnel with Turin's Passante Ferroviario.
- Demolition of the C.so Grosseto Overpass: The old overpass, with more than 80 spans on three levels, was demolished, resulting in the spin-off of the 'Bridge|50' international research project on the experimental evaluation of beams and piers.
In addition, the project included the redevelopment of the existing railway tunnel, a new emergency area for the fire brigade, the complete renovation of the surface road and tramway, a new cycle and pedestrian path, a new architecture for the square that will house a new municipal market, water collectors, the planting of 137 new trees, and the installation of new monitoring systems for new and existing structures and the environment.
This project represents an epoch-making turning point for Turin, with large-scale infrastructural improvements, innovation and a vision for the future.
For all photos and videos we cordially thank SCR Piemonte S.p.A.